Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Air Force Life

Ok so for those of you who know us you know that I joined the Air National Guard last Sept. and this past March I left my wife and kids at home while I went off to boot camp. After 8 and a half weeks of almost no contact with them I graduated and moved on to technical training to learn my trade. Things improved dramatically when I got to tech school. More freedoms and a lot more contact with my wife and kids. I learned just a couple of things in basic. Some of the stuff I already new, like respect for authority, discipline, and how to follow directions. One of the things that I learned was how much I depend on my wife for comfort and strength. I spent 8 and a half weeks being "broken" and "molded" to be an American Airman and the thing that bothered me the most was being separated from my wife. I was allowed a total of 4 phone calls, the longest being 20 minutes long, while there. Every night I would think about what I would say to her if I could, or what I never said that I should have. I know it sounds cheesy but I basically went two months with no contact with the one person on earth God gave me for an help meet, fit to help me through all of life's trials as a team. I just wanted to post this because I don't know if I would have ever gotten to the point that I'm at with how I feel about our relationship had I not gone that long with it. Kinda like that "you don't know what you have till it's gone" except it's not gone I just kinds got to see a glimpse of what it would be like... I didn't like it. I don't want to leave anything unsaid, I don't want to leave anything UNHEARD. I don't want only know my half of the story. I want to be so connected that the two can't be distinguished from each other. I still have 2 months to go before I can be home with my bride... It's easier now but it's still lonely with out her by my side. I don't suggest that everyone go off to boot camp to boost their relationship with their spouse, actually I would discourage most from it. I couldn't have done it had it not been for my wife's strength and encouragement before hand and knowing that she would be there praying for me. I do suggest that everyone take stock of what they have though. Don't take it for granted, and don't assume that everything is as good as it gets just because the ride is smooth at the moment. Don't stop growing together and towards each other.

No comments: